AW 2018 California Recreational Releases

These are opportunistic flows released at PG&E’s discretion and communicated to AW. I share the info as a courtesy. My apologies that it is not higher but it’s not to say I didn’t ask. Outside of a new hydropower license that prescribes optimal flow stakeholders have little influence on what is released.

To be clear these Fordyce releases are not part of the flows agreed upon for a new license. The new license has yet to be issued and is awaiting the regulatory process to complete. Until then we are at the mercy of PG&E’s current operating standards.

In the meantime, I will continue to share any info sent my way and if they respond to our request for higher flows I’ll let you know.

FORDCYE WILL BE AT 400 CFS

PG&E has graciously responded to requests for more flow:

We can do 400 instead, just checked with our gen supervisor and he has no objections so we’ll aim for 400.

You can expect the flows to start ramping up on Wednesday provided PG&E gets a patrol done by then.

Enjoy

FORDYCE RELEASE SCHEDULE

PG&E just shared with AW the release schedule to accommodate the 400 cfs flows make your plans now!

8/15-9/3: 400 cfs

9/4 onwards: likely <200 cfs (not boatable)

FORDYCE - 350 CFS IS THE BEST WE CAN GET

Well can’t knock PG&E for trying - this just in regarding the 350 cfs you see today:

I checked in with the generation supervisor and it turns out the lake is already low enough that we aren’t able to get more than the 350 cfs we are currently getting out. So although we have no objection to letting out more than 350 cfs, it’s not physically possible.

I will check back on how long we can expect the current flow to last…

Mokelumne Electra Make Up Day - Celebrate the State’s Newest Wild & Scenic River

This Sunday August 26 PG&E will be providing a makeup day for license required recreational flows missed in July.

700 cfs from 10 am - 4 pm.

Come out and celebrate State Wild & Scenic River designation with Foothill Conservancy and Friends of the River.

NF Mokelumne Electra Clas II-III

SOUTH FORK FEATHER

Little Grass Valley Reservoir to South Fork Diversion Dam Cls IV-V

South Feather Water & Power Agency has shared the following release information with American Whitewater:

The plan is to start ramping flows on 9/10 and we will be at 400 cfs on 9/12. We will hold that flow through the end of the month, 3 weekends, at minimum…

Similar to last year they may have more water to move after these initial flows so we could have flows into October. When we get word of an end date I’ll post it here.

GOOD NEWS - PIT 1 RECREATIONAL FLOWS RESCHEDULED FOR TWO WEEKENDS IN OCTOBER

Pit 1: Fall River Mills to Pit River Campground (Pit Falls) Cls III-IV

Pit River Campground to Highway 299 (Pit #1 Powerhouse Run)

Just got this news from the PG&E License Coordinator for the PIT 1 Hydropower Project confirming the following rescheduled dates for the 2018 Pit1 Whitewater October releases:

October 6 – 7

October 20 -21

AW would like to give a shout out to PG&E for changing the dates and allowing more boaters the opportunity to enjoy this fabulous whitewater resource over two weekends in October.

Mark your calendars paddlers and enjoy!

STILL WAITING ON CANYON CREEK INFO

As of yet I have not received a response to my inquiries on any flow for Canyon Creek. As soon as I get any information I will share it here.

In the meantime watch the gage last year NID ramped up around September 14.

NO CAYON CREEK FLOWS EXPECTED

This just in from NID regarding Canyon Creek

Hi Theresa,

Thank you for reaching out. Due to the flows necessary to facilitate this year’s scheduled facility maintenance – NID will not be practicing implementation of the recreation streamflows in Canyon Creek below French Lake Dam.

We do look forward to providing the recreation flows in the future and will be sure to be in touch when those flows are scheduled.

SF FEATHER UPDATE

Word is in from South Fork Feather Water & Power - 400 CFS flows will continue through October 15th.

WHAT IS UP WITH THE PITS?
October 11, 2018

Just got off the phone with PG&E and PIT 5 will be in play this weekend as they are doing repairs and have 2 units out. The flows should stay around what they are now (1200 cfs) through the weekend.

PG&E just confirmed no flow on PIT 1 Fall River Mills this weekend - recreational flows will return on Oct 20th & 21st.

Now checking on status of PIT 3 - stay tuned…

PIT 3 IN PLAY UNTIL WINTER WEATHER HITS

PIT 3 - Lake Britton to Powerhouse 3 - Class III

News from PG&E is PIT 3 paddling flows will continue up until winter weather prevents current work at Powerhouse 3 from occurring. (PG&E cannot have divers in the water when the flows get too high from storm runoff).

One caveat to these opportunistic flows PLEASE use the established Boater Take-Out before the Pit 3 Powerhouse since there will be divers in the water and lots of machinery around. (CLICK ON MAP BELOW)

Hoping folks can enjoy this opportunity too! Big thanks to PG&E for keeping us informed!

Dave Steindorf reports out the following for flows on the Feather:

“The Rock Creek and Cresta reaches of the Feather have been running higher than normal for the past month. PG&E is performing maintenance on the large Drum Gates, these are used for high flow releases. Flows have stabilized in the 800 to 900 cfs range but will be lowered down to 50 cfs starting on November 1st and continuing to November 5th. Flows will come back up to the 800 cfs range on the 5th and stay high until the project is completed. Repairs are expected to finish by November 23rd for the Rock Creek Dam and November 30th for the Cresta Dam. As always, check the gauges before you go, as things can change. “

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/cont…/River/detail/…/197/

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/cont…/River/detail/…/196/