Tips for new Sacramento boater

Howdy,

It seems like boof.com is mostly geared toward the northern California boating community, so I figured this would be a good place to ask for some beta.

I got a job working in downtown Sacramento starting this fall. I have two questions I was hoping someone could answer:

(1) Where should I be looking for housing? I want to be able to get out of town easily to hit the rivers, but I also want to be pretty close to downtown.

(2) Is boof.com the most active online community for northern california boaters? Do people use facebook groups or anything else to organize/sell gear/etc. ?

Cheers and SYOTR,
Matthias Fostvedt

Central California Whitewater is probably your best bet as far as faebook groups. How long will you be in Sacramento? Somewhere off hwy 50 like Citrus Hights/Orangevale will be better all year than somewhere off hwy 80, though personally I’d take 80 in the spring months as you’d be closer to the Yuba watershed. A lot of the paddling community used to live in the Oak Park area, less so these days unfortunately.

Awesome, thanks Darin. I’ll probably be down there for at least three years.

Are you in Sac? If so, I hope we can link up and go paddle. I don’t know if you remember me, but we paddled Lake Creek play run up in Oregon one time with Priscilla and Jacob.

Matthias